Author Topic: An update.  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Demiveil

• Administrator
  • Nub
  • Yay or Nay +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Speed is King
An update.
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
Well recently I've been quite busy with other things, but I have been talking with acidbRain and thanks to some great contributions from him we now have a nicely working splittimes resource, which displays on the right of the screen, showing the position of each racer, and checkpoint split times. I personally think this is a fantastic addition.
I've also updated the the latest version of some of his other scripts such as playerstats and scoring system. Which brings me to the main point of this post.
What points system do we wish to go with?

The available options are: (italics are my suggested values)
  • Points per checkpoint - 0
  • Points per death - 0
  • Points per kill - 1
  • Points per opponent death - 0
  • Points per beaten opponent points - 0.01
  • Points per beaten opponent - 1
  • Points per race finish - 2.5
  • Points per race start - 0
  • Points per toptime set - 10
  • Points per win - 5
  • Points per winning streak - 5

Feel free (in fact please do) post this list with what you feel would be a good points system using this list.

On another note, I feel that it may become necessary to reset the toptimes list, mainly because we now have 3 different resources which seperately record toptime events, and because of this each one is out of sync, the splittimes resource especially records the cp times of the record run, so it seems important to me that this represents the actual toptime rather than the fastest time since that resource has run. However if people think that it is important to keep our toptimes we could leave them on and hope over time the records become broken and the other resources therefore are recording correctly.

Post Merge: November 20, 2010, 10:34:24 PM
Also we need to have a serious look at what maps we have on our server. I've seen some truly terrible and long maps that are guaranteed to clear the server if there are any player on it. Not good at all!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:34:24 PM by Demiveil »

Offline asablic

• Nub
  • Yay or Nay +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: An update.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:36:45 AM »
I would like to see:      Points per toptime set
                                    Points per win

I am not sure about "Points per winning streak" since It can be used as an unfair advantage.
What I mean is when you constantly race against someone who is lacking a lot of racing skills, you are probably going to get a big win streak since the other guy is always going to loose against you.
On the other hand, when  there are 2 people with solid racing skills they are probably not going to get a big win streak since their racing skills are on the same level and the rate of competition is the same.
This means you will gain more points when you race against someone is lacking racing skills than someone who is at the same level as you are.
This is the main reason I consider "Points per winning streak" kinda unfair.

(I hope you understand what I mean, feel free to ask if you don't).

About the toptimes, well, I barely have any records set so It's not to me to decide if the toptimes list should be erased.

EDIT: I just figured out that this makes other point systems look unfair in some ways too so I am not sure anymore lol.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:44:40 AM by asablic »

Offline Demiveil

• Administrator
  • Nub
  • Yay or Nay +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Speed is King
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Yes I very much understand what your saying. And it does make some sense really, but yes no points system can be completely fair. The only one that works well is the points per beaten opponents point as it means beating amateurs isn't rewarding at all and beating people with lots of points is rewarding. However there still needs to be another source of points otherwise noone will ever get points, and I do feel that even when beating amateur players there should be some rewards for being better than them.

Also on a semi unrelated topic, I've changed the in game server logo to a much smaller and subtler one, and written a little addon script to the points system that outputs the amount of points won to the player. The first 3 to finish have this output to everyone, and the rest have it output exclusively to them.

Offline DemonSeed

• Facts don't care about your feelings.
  • Administrator
  • A God
  • Yay or Nay +4382/-4074
  • Don't try to force your PC dick down my throat.
    • View Profile
    • Speed is King
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
Yeah ill agree with your choices demi, seems suitable enough.

If you want to delete the timetimes, be my guest, i can always get my times back.
The maps do need sorting, we do have a shit ton, and the dm/dd maps need to be added to so noobs would stay on our server longer.

And thanks for the hard work man, i appreciate it :D
Created by 1thwonder

Offline Demiveil

• Administrator
  • Nub
  • Yay or Nay +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Speed is King
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:38:18 AM »
Ok, well I've been very busy with other things these days. Been painting a roof to put the property on the market and I've also recently taken on Kitesurfing to the list of sports I participate in. Nonetheless I have done some work on the server, and come up with some ideas for what more work I could do.

First of all, I've now added a little script that works with the scoringsystem to output the points players earn at the end of each race. The winners points are output to everyone and are shown in gold, the points of he in second output to everyone in silver and obviously the points of he in 3rd output to everyone in bronze, after that the earned points are output only to the person whom earned them.
I've also added a little script that makes everyones vehicles the sik colours of black and white with green headlights, I kinda feel this makes the server look a little more professional :)

As for things I want to do....well I want to write my own gui for the stats which shows only the stats we are actually interested in, make it look a little more customised instead of the generic one currently used.
Also I was thinking, in terms of the points, obviously using the points per beaten opponents points stat, whilst most fair, can result in a snowball effect and so we would need to reset the stats frequently and declare some form of "winner" (Else points are more or less pointless ;) ). What I was thinking is that seeing as the old tactic of monthly championships is currently very successfully employed by the folks over at SKC perhaps we could go a slightly different route and instead make it a race. 1st to say 3000 points wins. This way the points will never get out of hand and hopefully friendly competition will result. Also because its a more definitive specification of when a championship is complete I could also build this into the script, making some sort of fancy notification when the event occurs and immediately starting a new round, clearing the stats etc.
Also to coincide with this I could easily build in an autoupdating list of previous winners that can be displayed on the server, and I think we could think up other little incentives to win.

And finally, something I've been thinking about whilst mindlessly painting the roof.
A challenge system. Wherein at the start of each map (or perhaps every 5th map or something) the server will offer each player a randomly assigned challenge which the player can choose to accept and undertake. If the player is successful in completing the challenge they are rewarded with some form of points bonus.
These challenges will range in difficulty greatly and could be things like be in first position at checkpoint 1, or complete the race without dying etc etc.
The process of accepting a challenge includes paying an acceptance fee, with money earned from winning races (and hopefully eventually from a betting script).
More difficult challenges result in higher points rewards, but are also more expensive to accept, so it becomes a tradeoff between accepting easy challenges frequently or saving up for that real tricky one in the hope that you'll succeed and win big. The challenges will be offered randomly, so occassionally someone might get lucky and be offered a challenge on an easy map. (I'm yet to decided whether or not I should let the player know what map they will race before they are offered the challenge.)

But yes, thats the kind of thing swimming around in my head, hopefully there's someone here whom reads it and perhaps adds there thoughts.

Oh and demon, I'm hoping you might find the time at some point to sort out the website a bit more. No worries if not, but it really does need that tune up, and you seem to know a lot more about what themes we need etc then I do.
Cheers :)

Offline DemonSeed

• Facts don't care about your feelings.
  • Administrator
  • A God
  • Yay or Nay +4382/-4074
  • Don't try to force your PC dick down my throat.
    • View Profile
    • Speed is King
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:29:51 AM »
Yeah i have been trying to work on the website in my free time, those two themes you uploaded Dark Break and Black Board are really cool.

I pm'd comatose on the AGS forums (as he knows more about smf coding them i do) to apply TP to both themes, if he accepts and applies TP, from there i can fix them up and get help from him if needed.

And great work man the shit sounds sweet, that challenge system sounds really good, something like one of those mainstream racing games like Blur.
Created by 1thwonder

Offline asablic

• Nub
  • Yay or Nay +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »
Nice work, can't wait to try it out :)

Offline Full_Metal

• OM
  • [SiK] Member
  • Semi-Pro
  • Yay or Nay +9/-1
  • Awesome One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
this looks fucking amazing, really nicely done, i cant wait till i can come onto the server and test these out, but it could be a while before i get that opportunity

From the mutilated burnt carcass of PHS, SiK arose from the ashes to conquer, destroy and decimate any opposing opposition that came in it's way.
This reign of terror has lasted for 10 glorious years.
And will continue to do so for many more.

Offline Blacky

• Administrator
  • All Pro
  • Yay or Nay +14/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »
Nice work demi :), I hope this changes will can do the server more popular and attracte more players of course.
I have a little suggestion for apply on the server. I saw in some servers that when you press tab you can see the name of the players, ping, position...points.

My suggestion is add points list in the menu that appear when you press tab, for know how many points have the people.

Offline Demiveil

• Administrator
  • Nub
  • Yay or Nay +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Speed is King
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
Yup will definitely be doing that. Is a fairly important feature really.

Offline Demiveil

• Administrator
  • Nub
  • Yay or Nay +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Speed is King
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 02:48:39 AM »
Ok well that is done.
Points now show up in the scoreboard.

Additionally I've changed the ghost setter once again. I realised there was an issue wherein if one person was driving in front of another, once they got 5 units ahead they would turn ghost mode off, but actually on the other peoples client they may be actually within so contact occurs, which can get frustrating.

I've now changed it so that after the 15 seconds. For each person, anyone over 5 units away from them become possible to collide with, those within 5 units are not until they pass out of that radius. Anyone it is possible to collide with will be solid, everyone still ghosted will be transparent.
This entirely client side approach removes any difficulties that arise due to latency.

Offline RaO

• Nub
  • Yay or Nay +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • RaO 's Mixes
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 08:38:36 AM »
nice!

Offline Blacky

• Administrator
  • All Pro
  • Yay or Nay +14/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »
Nice demi  :), is nice for me because I lag a bit :P I have about 220 of ping :P

Offline asablic

• Nub
  • Yay or Nay +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
Just one suggestion if everyone agrees with me.

As you know it, mta is full of people that advertise some site by using nicknames like "mtasa.tk_123" which really annoys me.
I would like to see our server running a resource (which I already have to prevent demi from wasting his time :)) which changes their name to something random.
What do others think about that?

Offline AcidbRain

• -]alw[- Member
  • Nooblit
  • Yay or Nay +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:35 AM »
Yes! Death to mtasa.tk!

anything